05 November 2012

My Danish Breakfast

I am not quite a breakfast person. I still eat it, but I get more excited for lunch or dinner. For breakfast, I can have anything from oatmeal, yogurt, or cereal. Nothing exciting right?

But I discovered something grand while in Copenhagen. I got a little innovative. Simple, but I still consider it a bit innovative for me.

Because I fell in love with ryazhenka while in Moscow, I was determined to find it while in Copenhagen. But alas, to my dismay, it seems like it is strictly Russian, and pretty much there isn't an equivalent of it in Denmark. After researching for items that are similar to it, I came across a couple of products: A38, tykmaelk, and ymer. All of these are cultured milk products, similar to yogurts. Definitely not ryazhenka, though. It's closer to the consistency and taste of kefir, but not as sour.

All of these products are similar in price as well, between 8-12 kroner.... I think. It's been a while. Dairy is pretty cheap in Denmark. Thank goodness they love their cows (and they are proud of dairy industry). Really.

I bought tykmaelk for the most part, and only once ymer and A38. All of them are very similar, but I just always decided to stick with tykmaelk. At first I just tried drinking it with a side of rye bread with jam, but during a grocery visit, I found oatmeal and decided that it would be a great idea to mix both of them. A dash of sugar helped, too. This oatmeal was quite different, through, from any other rolled or quick oats that I have had. It's a light, thin, oat, that comes basically in crumbs. I still haven't found the equivalent of it in the states. If anyone can help me find it, please!

It's a wonderful combination. I think that I had that for breakfast almost everyday during my stay in Copenhagen without getting bored of it. I think for one of the few times of my life, I actually looked forward to such a (simple) breakfast.

Here is a blog post that has more info on A38, tykmaelk, and ymer. This is my research when I was looking for ryazhenka.

No comments:

Post a Comment