16 April 2012

Lessons Learned #1: baggage fees

Yesterday I decided what date I was leaving Moscow for my next destination. It wasn't an easy decision. I tend to dwell on choices when given many. Naturally I am on a budget, but I ended up booking my flight to Oslo with a generous layover in Riga, Latvia. I figured that for the same price as flying to Copenhagen I could fly to Oslo. I could have had a painless layover in Riga for 1-4 hours, but I realized that I could actually spend the whole day in Riga if I chose the longest layover available. I decided that for the same price, I might as well get to know Riga. I have gotten postcards from there via Postcrossing and I deemed it a place worthy of visiting.

Now here comes the reason why I am writing this post rather late at night- and I have work tomorrow morning. I had booked my Moscow-Oslo flight through Priceline with AirBaltic. I didn't know that AirBaltic was a budget airline. Budget airlines typically ask for extra fees for baggage, and it was rather unfortunate that Priceline didn't do into detail about AirBaltic's baggage rules and conditions. Let alone that Priceline typically doesn't have budget airlines in their lineup. At least I found out about that now. I went to AirBaltic's website and found out that:
1- one handbaggage, not to exceed 8kg, is allowed on board.
2- one (1) checked baggage up to 20 kg will cost 20€ if purchased on their website before your flight.
3- one (1) checked baggage up to 20 kg upon check-in will cost 30€.

(UPDATE 4/18: while looking for more flights on Priceline.com, I saw that there is a link beneath he listed flight letting users know that baggage fees are not included and to directly go to their website to pay a baggage fee. I need to perhaps not book flights late at night anymore!)

Okay, now this sounds familiar (ie EasyJet, RyanAir, etc)

So I purchased the checked baggage fee. I had thought that it would only be 20€- saving myself 10€ if I had found out about this upon check-in, but it seems that 'layover' for AirBaltic means another baggage fee. 40€ it was. That is half of the cost of the original ticket. I hope this is the only time this happens.

I have flown budget airlines throughout Europe before in 2007/2008, such as RyanAir, WizzAir, and EasyJet. I think just by seeing those names it is assumed that they are going to charge fee on top of fee- especially RyanAir. But then again, years ago I only packed for 3-5 days, not 2.5 months.

I need to think about packing even lighter. I have 1.5 months to strategically draft this out.

So far, by experience, Easy Jet > RyanAir. Always.

No comments:

Post a Comment