13 February 2013

Study Tour #1: Day Two: Quaint Russian Affair in Gamla Stan

01 Junly 2012, Sunday

Breakfast at the hostel was nothing short of amazing. I would have never imagined such a meal at a hostel. But this was Scandinavia. They are experts at hospitality no matter where you are. I clearly took advantage of breakfast by making small sandwiches with whatever bread rolls, cold cuts, and veggies they had at the breakfast bar. Wrapped them in napkins and slipped them into my backpack. I would do this as a 21-year old while studying in Italy. We especially got in trouble for that when we were in Sorrento, but that never stopped us. And it still obviously hasn't. Saves money on snacks and sometimes a meal!

First stop was Gamla Stan ("Old Town"): it is an island that rests primarily on the Stadsholmen Island, but it includes other islets of Riddarholmen and Helgeandsholmen. The part of town dates back all the way to the 13th century and is made up of medieval alleyways, beautifully cobbled streets that make it just a little difficult to walk on, and North German architecture- which is pretty dominant around the city square- Stortoget.

And in Stortoget is where we began our long, busy, day. It was presented as a case study by a pair of students, then we were allotted about an hour to sketch the square and/or its surroundings. I sat myself down on a bench in the middle of the square near a fountain and decided to sketch the building tops instead of doing a sketch of "urban studies"- which was supposed to be the focus of our sketches. Being from an architectural background, I just can't help it.

that's all I sketched for my time in Gamla Stan.
While I was sketching, a Russian tour group, primary of students, were occupying the square, attentively listening to their guide. A group of girls broke away and came my way, watching me sketch for a minute before breaking the silence in broken English. They were very nice girls, trying to make friendly conversation in the best English they had, for practice I assume. They asked if I was an architect and why I was sketching. I asked who they were, and they were traveling Scandinavia with their class (9-10 year olds). They seemed more interested learning about me and where I was from, it was hard asking them a question and getting a reply back, but later all I got out of them was that they were from St. Petersburg. And they seemed very amazed at the fact that I was a Californian. As soon as they tried to initiate more conversation with me, their guide briskly came up to them, said something in Russian, turned to me, and said "Thank you very much!" as she shook my hand, then quickly hurried the girls away with the rest of their group.

i found the Cube (by Park Associati)!
I honestly prize those few moments I have with foreigners who make their best efforts to practice a language with another.

After the girls left, the square just seemed too dull, so I wandered off to see what else I can enjoy of Gamla Stan with the rest of the hour. I met up with two other classmates, and we continued to wander before we had to meet up again as a group. It was beautiful weather, and unusually warm. Copenhagen was beginning to seem like a miserable, depressing, place because of its weather, while the rest of Scandinavia, it seemed, was getting all the best weather. Although not a fan of the sun or hot weather, I was enjoying this part of the world's warmth under the same bright sun.


No comments:

Post a Comment